Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast Cake
This cake is super good. Not just for breakfast. Though a nice trick is to make the batter the night before, cover and put in the fridge, then throw in the oven first thing in the morning.
- Servings: 9
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
Ingredients Direct link to this section
- 1/2 cup (113 g) unsalted butter, room temp
- zest of 1 large lemon
- 1 cup (214 g) sugar (set aside 1 tbsp for topping)
- 1 egg, room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups (256 g) flour (set aside 1/4 cup)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
Instructions Direct link to this section
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using mixer, cream butter with lemon zest and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat well.
- Toss blueberries in 1/4 cup of flour.
- Whisk together remaining flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the batter and stir with spatula to combine.
- Add all of the buttermilk and stir to combine.
- Add remaining flour and stir to combine.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Grease 9 inch square baking pan.
- Spread batter in pan.
- Sprinkle top with remaining 1 tbsp of sugar.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes.
- Let stand for 15 minutes.